Monday, March 8, 2010

The Translation of the Transcript of the Cassette Tape that was Converted into a CD



Whew! Did you get that?
Background:
A cassette tape came in a package from Mark’s co-worker, along with two pictures. One was the picture of Melanie and me that our adoptive mom sent to the hospital where we were born. It was given to my birth mother when she went to the hospital to find information about us. The second photo was a picture of my birth mother and three sisters taken in December 1983. In my opinion, no other proof of relationship was needed besides this picture. My oldest birth sister looks almost exactly like me. I think she looks more like me that my twin sister! I had to laugh, though, because each of the sisters had a hairstyle that I (sadly) also sported at one point or another in my childhood. I was also surprised that they looked rather modern. My perception of my birth family (given to me by my adoptive family) was that they were extremely poor. I always imagined they lived in a hut with no running water or electricity. My second birth sister has earrings, sunglasses and long nails painted red! Because we don’t have a working cassette player, I had the tape converted into a CD. The woman who runs the small bookstore where I had the tape copied was funny. I told her that the tape was very precious, like gold, and asked her to be careful with it. I knew that she would have to listen to the tape in order to make the copy, so I filled her in on a little of my background. When she learned that the tape contained my birth mother’s voice, she told me not to worry and that she’d take good care if it. Her friend, who was in the store chatting with her when I came in, piped in and said this was “a big deal”, and comforted me by saying the shopkeeper was very good at her job. I went back the next day to pick it up, and the shopkeeper tried to keep a professional manner. I asked if she listened to it, and she said “just a little”. I expressed my concerns about not being able to understand my birth mother’s dialect, and she proceeded to tell me the contents of the tape, adding each detail with more enthusiasm. When I listened the first time, I got the big picture, even though her accent is harsh and unfamiliar. We’ve listened to it over and over and played it for various friends who’ve been to our house to glean every ounce of information we can find. Each person who listens to it, has added another surprising detail, or helped us to understand the meaning within the words. It was spoken in letter form, so I sometimes refer to it as “the letter” or CD.


Part 1: Hello everyone. I am Zhang Xiumei (Elegant Beauty), the twins’ mother. In the 99th year of the Republic of China1, February 16, Mr. Hung2 called to tell me that you are looking for me. I am very happy…so happy. First, I want to ask, how are your American parents doing? At this time, I want to tell you why you were abandoned. It was not on purpose and very difficult for me. I delivered you naturally and was very tired. I had no money for a C-section, but I needed one. I almost died. I had no ability to take care of you. These Americans came to adopt you. I didn’t know that they would take you so far away3 because they lived in Taiwan at the time. They took you to the United States. I went to the place where you lived in Taipei to look for you, but you had moved. I didn’t know how to find you. I also went to the hospital where you were born, but the hospital administrator wouldn’t4 tell me where you were. I asked many times, but he wouldn’t tell me. After awhile, he gave me this picture5. Now, I give you this picture6. At that time, we were too poor. The hospital bill was paid by your American parents. At that time, the hospital bill was not small. We didn’t have any money to pay for it. At that time, we didn’t have any insurance. Also, the two twins stayed in the hospital and were cared for by the staff, so it was expensive. This was all paid by your American parents. We had no ability to pay for the hospital bill. Also, my health was not good after giving birth to you, so I had no ability to care for you, so everything fell to your father Lin Yongbiao (Brave Standard), who wouldn’t take responsibility. I don’t want to talk of this person. This is why we had to let you go. I don’t want to talk of that person, he’s not on this earth; he has passed away. Don’t talk of him. That’s all for now. Bye-Bye.
Part 2: Mr. Hung called to tell me that you plan to come. I am so, so happy. Mr. Hung has told me a little bit of your information. I am very thankful that the American son-in-law7 had the heart to find me. I am very thankful. I want to freely speak. Finding you has been from the heart. I don’t want any benefit or advantage. I just want to see you, look at you, no other purpose. No matter how many relatives come, they are all welcome. I want to pay for your plane tickets. When you want to come, call me. My phone number is 0492910177. My cell phone number is 0919805916. You are welcome to call me. Thank you all. That’s all for now.
1 The 99th year of the Republic of China is 2010.
2 Joseph Hung is Mark’s co-worker in Taiwan who graciously volunteered to find our birth family.
3 To the United States.
4 It is unclear whether the administrator was unable or unwilling to share information with her.
5 A picture of Melanie and me.
6 I think she sent the picture as proof that she is our birth mother, but after seeing my oldest birth sister’s picture, no other proof is needed.
7 That’d be Mark Neher, my sweet husband.
8 I think she said this because it was Mark who shared our adoption story with his co-worker and is thankful that he is supportive.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Marcie for sharing such a personal, even intimate, story. I will be sharing it with Evan. Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello~Marcie.I'm Nicole, the poor tranlator you met in PCH. I read about your story, and almost tears. I want to tell you at the beginning of the meeting is: your mother always cried when she watching the TV show about the family reunion. When I heard about this, I can feel the heart-broken of a mother. I'm so glad about the reuninon. And I believe that both of you sisters are loved by God, that's the reason why you have three love-filled families.

    ReplyDelete